I. What is Turkey Residence Permit?
The Turkey Residence Permit is the legal document that the foreigner who will stay in Turkey longer than the visa period must obtain from the Provincial Immigration Administration and determines the period of stay in Turkey. It is obligatory for foreigners who will stay in Turkey for more than ninety days or the period granted by the visa or visa exemption to obtain a residence permit.
We will inform you about types of residence permit, Turkey immigration, how to get residence permit in Turkey, turkish residence permit fees and turkish residence permit renewal.
II. How to Apply for Turkey Residence Permit?
Residence permit application for Turkey can be made through the Turkish Consulate in the country you are in, the Provincial Directorate of Migration Management if you are in Turkey, or through the https://e-ikamet.goc.gov.tr/ website.
If obtaining a residence permit is mandatory for you or if you are not exempt, the first thing you need to do is decide which type of residence permit to apply for.
Residence permit applications to the provincial directorates in Turkey must be made before the legal deadline required for the application.
Once you have determined the type of residence permit that you are eligible for, you can make the application along with the required documents. If you are unsure about the required documents or how to present them in your application, you can also seek assistance from our law firm to complete your residence permit application.
1. Can a Residence Permit Application for Turkey be Made through an Attorney with a Power of Attorney?
It is essential for residence permit applications to be made by the foreigner themselves. However, a residence permit application can also be made through the foreigner’s legal representative or an attorney with a power of attorney. Although the application can be made through an attorney, the person applying for the residence permit must attend the appointment following the application in person.
2. Documents Required for Residence Permit Application in Turkey
The documents to be submitted vary according to the type of residence permit. But in general, the documents to be submitted are;
- Residence Permit Application Form (Must be signed by foreigner and/or official representative)
- Photocopies of passport or passport substitute document
- Four (4) biometric photographs
- Statement that you have sufficient and regular financial means during your stay
- Documents/receipts showing residence fee and card fee payment
- Health insurance
- Document showing that you are in the Address Registration System
- Document Indicating Your Accommodation
- E-signed/signed and stamped/sealed “Domain Certificate” to be obtained from the provincial/district civil registration offices or from the e-devlet (www.turkiye.gov.tr)
- Copy of title deed if you live in your own home
- If you are staying on a lease, a notarized copy of your lease;
- If you are staying in a place such as a hotel, documentation of your stay at those places;
- If you are staying in a student dormitory, an e-signed/signed and sealed/stamped document stating that you are staying in the dormitory,
- If you are staying with a third party, the notarized commitment of the person staying with you (if the person staying with you is married, also the notarized commitment of the spouse)
III. Types of Residence Permit in Turkey
Types of Residence Permit are Short Term Residence Permit, Family Residence Permit, Student Residence Permit, Long Term Residence Permit, Humanitarian Residence Permit and Human Trade Victim Residence Permit. The requirements for applying for all residence permits are different. For this reason, you should consult a law firm when deciding which residence permit you should apply for.
1. Short Term Residence Permit Turkey
Short-term residence permit can be given to the following foreigners:
- a) Those who will come for scientific research
- b) Those who own immovable property in Turkey (Turkey residence permit buy property)
- c) Those who will establish a commercial connection or business
- ç) Those who will participate in in-service training programs
- d) Those who will come for educational or similar purposes within the framework of agreements to which the Republic of Turkey is a party or student exchange programs
- e) Those who will stay for tourism purposes
- f) They will be treated provided that they do not have one of the diseases considered as a threat to public health.
- g) Those who need to stay in Turkey depending on the request or decision of the judicial or administrative authorities
- ğ) Those who changed from family residence permit to short-term residence permit
- h) Will attend Turkish learning courses
- ı) Those who will participate in education, research, internship and courses in Turkey through public institutions
- i) Those who have completed their higher education in Turkey and apply within six months from the date of graduation
- j) Those who do not work in Turkey but will invest within the scope and amount to be determined by the President, and their foreign spouse, minor or dependent foreign child of himself and his spouse
- k) Citizens of the Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus
If you want to stay in Turkey as a tourist residence or if you have purchased real estate in Turkey (Turkey residence permit buy property) you must apply for this residence permit.
2. Family Residence Permit Turkey
Turkish citizens, those who are within the scope of Article 28 of Law No. 5901 or foreigners who have one of the residence permits, refugees and subsidiary protection status holders;
- a) To his foreign spouse,
- b) To the minor foreign child of himself or his spouse,
- c) To the dependent foreign child of himself or his spouse,
A family residence permit can be issued for a period not exceeding three years each time.
However, the duration of the family residence permit may never exceed the duration of the sponsor’s residence permit.
In family residence permit requests, the following conditions are sought from the sponsor:
- a) Minimum wage per family member, with a total income not less than the minimum wage. have a monthly income of not less than one third
- b) Housing in accordance with general health and safety standards according to the population of the family
- Having health insurance that covers all family members
- c) Any crime against family order within five years as of the date of application. to certify with a criminal record that one has not been convicted
- ç) Staying in Turkey for at least one year with a residence permit
- d) To be registered in the address registration system
3. Student Residence Permit
A student residence permit is given to foreigners who will study at a higher education institution in Turkey with an associate degree, bachelor’s degree, master’s or doctorate. Foreigners who will receive primary and secondary education, whose care and expenses are undertaken by a real or legal person, can be granted and extended a student residence permit for one-year periods during their education with the consent of their parents or legal representatives. If the education period is less than one year, the duration of the student residence permit cannot exceed the period of study.
Associate, undergraduate, graduate and doctoral students who receive formal education in Turkey can work provided that they obtain a work permit.
4. Long Term Residence Permit
Foreigners who have stayed in Turkey for at least eight years without interruption or who meet the conditions determined by the Ministry, are granted an indefinite residence permit by the governorships with the approval of the Ministry.
The following conditions are sought in the transition to a long-term residence permit:
- a) Staying in Turkey with a residence permit for at least eight years without interruption
- b) Not having received social assistance in the last three years
- c) To have a sufficient and regular source of income to provide for himself or his family
- ç) To have valid health insurance
- d) Not to pose a threat to public order or public security
5. Humanitarian Residence Permit
Humanitarian residence permit may be granted and extended by the Provincial Immigration Administration, provided that it is limited to the periods determined by the Ministry, without seeking the conditions for granting other residence permits in the humanitarian residence permit. Humanitaran residence permit is issued in the following cases;
- a) In the best interests of the child
- b) When foreigners cannot be made to leave Turkey or it is not considered reasonable or possible for them to leave Turkey, despite the decision of deportation or entry ban to Turkey.
- c) When a deportation decision is not taken for the foreigner pursuant to Article 55
- ç) When applying to the judiciary against the actions taken pursuant to Articles 53, 72
- d) During the continuation of the applicant’s return to the first country of asylum or a safe third country
- e) When foreigners, who are required to be allowed to enter and stay in Turkey for urgent reasons or for the protection of the country’s interests, public order and public security, are not able to obtain one of the other residence permits due to their situation that hinders the granting of a residence permit.
- f) In extraordinary situations
6. Human Trade Victim Residence Permit
A 30-day residence permit is issued by the governorates to foreigners who are or are strongly suspected to be victims of human trafficking, so that they can get rid of the effects of their experiences and decide whether or not to cooperate with the authorities.
IV. How to Apply for Turkey Residence Permit Renewal?
Applications for extension of residence permits must be made to the provincial directorates 60 days before the expiration of the residence permit, and in any case before the expiration of the residence permit. Applications for extension of residence permits can also be made through the https://e-ikamet.goc.gov.tr/ website.
The extended residence permit will start from the date the previous permit expires.
V. Need to Know About Residence Permit Applications
First of all, it should be noted that the passport or passport replacement document that will be used to apply for the residence permit has a validity of at least sixty days in accordance with the duration of the residence permit.
The passport or passport replacement document that will be applied for the residence permit should not be torn, worn out, outdated.
Residence permits obtained from abroad lose their validity if they are not used within six months.
VI. What Should Be Done if the Residence Permit Application is Rejected in Turkey?
A lawsuit must be filed in the Administrative Court within 60 days. Otherwise, it will be illegal for the person whose residence permit is refused to stay in Turkey.
Memduh Remzi BAL
Lawyer / Attorney in Turkey
We Offer Residence Permit Application Legal Services in Istanbul & Turkey.
BAL Law Firm is a Turkish Law Firm that provides legal services to foreign and domestic clients, companies and organizations. Our lawyers provide legal support in all geographical regions of Turkey, especially in Istanbul.
BAL Law Firm | BAL Avukatlık Bürosu
Call Us : +90 212 909 86 34
Send Mail : firstname.lastname@example.org